303 - Introduction to Web Publishing
Final Project: Blogs and Self-Publishing
Due: Thursday, June 2, by 10 a.m.
This final assignment will allow you to research several important web-related topics. You will be posting your analysis of the topics on your class blog. In addition to this research, you also will be adding features to your blog, as outlined below.
You should email me at firstname.lastname@example.org only AFTER your blog is completed per this assignment. Your assignment grade will be emailed back using your original. I will begin grading these at 10 a.m.; ensure that your postings are uploaded and complete at this time.
Your assignment requirements:
1) Analyze each of the following topics, and create separate posts to fully answer each question:
o Search Engine Optimization: Research this topic using the articles and links on our class blog.
1. Describe how search engines crawl web sites to “read” them for content.
2. Describe a human-powered directory, how it works, and which search engines may use this approach.
3. How does a search engine rank its results?
4. Explain in detail what a location/frequency algorithm is. Describe which locations on a web site are relevant to this formula.
5. What are off-the-page factors?
6. What is a link farm, how does it work, and should web sites subscribe?
7. What is the Open Directory Project? How do web sites submit to this directory? Which web sites are accepted into this directory? How does the Open Directory help web sites in terms of search engine optimization?
8. How should a web site go about choosing its most important keywords? How many keywords should a site choose to optimize?
o Privacy Research this topic and answer the following questions:
1. What is the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)?
2. How old are “children” according to this act?
3. Which web sites must comply with this act?
4. What services does TRUSTe.com provide to its clients?
o The worst web usability Using what you learned about web usability, find an example of a web site that has very bad usability. Provide a link to the site. Pick the three areas of usability that need enhancement, and describe how you would change the site so that it follows better usability principles. (For example, your three areas may include: navigation, use of photos, page design, site design, e-commerce, headlines, subheads, etc.)
o I'd like each of you to post a blog entry at the following post. A class in Maastricht is building a blog to tell you about their IDM-like major, and about their university and their lives. I'd like you to send something to them, as well, but I'd like each of you to use the same blog. I've emailed information to you regarding where this blog is, the user ID and password.
2) Set up your blog so that it can be syndicated using RSS. Use any appropriate chicklet, but ensure that it is clear and visible and in an appropriate location on your blog.
3) Set up your site to accept and run Google AdSense ads. This request takes several days, so you should make this request early. Once you have been accepted, begin running the Google ads on your blog. If Google rejects advertising on your site, forward the email Google has sent you to me at email@example.com, ensuring that you include your name in the email.
4) Add a photo to your blog that is relevant to any post you've made; or create a post in which to add your photo.